Friday, May 8, 2015

High for Friday

Lots of things going on this week, so I thought I might let my mind have a little break and just jump into 5 things I love about summertime. Linking up with Katie, Della, Caitlin, and Tif!

Now here's the thing, I love fall and winter.  I love the cool, crispness of the air. I love the food, the smells, the clothes.  Winter is where it's at in my book.  But as I have gotten older, I have truly learned to stop and appreciate life. I try (being the operative word) to take each day at a time, and notice my appreciation for the world and the gifts I am given.

So in no particular order, my 5 favorite things about spring and summer.

1. The Earth is waking up.  Around March I get a little incensed about the fact that the Earth is dull and brown and ugly.  And then spring hits and plants, grass, and trees turn green and sprout buds and everything just looks beautiful again.

2. Nights.  Daytime in the winter is fine. But night time? It's bitter cold, and it gets dark very early, and though I do usually enjoy cuddling in front of our fireplace, or the still and calm after it snows, night time in the summer just beats winter.  The air cools down a little but it's still warm. You can go out because it's still light and I don't feel like I have to get to bed right away.  The windows are open, the crickets are chirping, and everything about it just feels peaceful. 

3. Dresses.  Is there any article of clothing more comfortable than a light, breezy summer dress? I don't think so. 

4. The sun.  Now please don't get me wrong, the sun is hot. HOT. And with the humidity? Forget about it. But there are those days, where I sit in my air conditioned office just freezing. The minute I step outside though, and I let the sun warm my skin, and I get into my car and it is so warm. I'm in heaven.

5. The pool.  I am a pool girl, not an ocean girl.  I don't mind the ocean, and I'll jump in if I'm that hot. But the waves, and the sand, and the potential creatures lurking around my toes, I'm not down with.  But the pool is cool, and clear, and calm. And I can leisurely take my time getting in, wading through the water so effortlessly.  I can dangle my feet in if I'm just not hot enough yet, or I can jump in full force.  The resort in Mexico we stayed at during our honeymoon had 4 pools! I loved every minute of our pool time. 

There it is. I'm sure there's many more. Ice cream, margaritas, barbecues on my parents deck, the 4th of July, to name a few. But I truly, truly appreciate summer for those 5 things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment