Thursday, October 23, 2014

Gettin' Lucky in Kentucky!! (Part 2)

Going from where I left off..

Saturday morning we woke up and I had really wanted to get some donuts I read about at a place called Spalding Bakery.  Apparently they were the "best glazed donuts ever".  Honestly?  They were.
They were still warm too.

We waited in line for 30 minutes, but that donut was worth it.  It was fairly large, which was nice, and not like any glazed donut you've probably ever had.  It was sort of crunchy outside with a super moist, super delicious inside.  It tasted divine.  I'm so sad I only had one.

Then we went over to North Lime Coffee & Donuts.  I ordered a pumpkin cheesecake donut and Jesse had the caramel maple pecan bourbon donutty-thing.  Both were good, but not as good as Spalding. We really enjoyed Spalding.

So then we went back to the hotel, got fixed up and met our very large party at Shakespeare & Co. for lunch.  My parents, brother and his girlfriend, and six of our family friends flew in Saturday morning for the wedding.  We decided to meet for lunch and I picked this restaurant because it got pretty good reviews and was supposed to be perfect for lunch.  I ordered the caprese salad which was just OK. Everyone else seemed to enjoy their meal though, so that was good, and it was basically just fun to be all together again.  We only get to see each other a couple times a year, so it was nice just to spend time together.
The menu

So basically these people are adults that my mother went to college with and their significant others and children.  I didn't have a large family growing up.  My mother is an only child and my father's brothers and sister are pretty spread out across the East coast.  So these people sort of made up my aunts, uncles, and cousins.  I've known them since birth and I love them all.

Anyway, after lunch, we drove back to the hotel, rested for a bit, then got ready for the wedding.  I wore a new dress I had purchased at Loft, I wish I had the common sense to wear tights though, because ti was COLD.  The ceremony was outside, as was the dancing. Dinner, however, was held inside this gorgeous old house turned art gallery.  It was absolutely delicious.  Shrimp and grits, slow cooked bourbon chicken thighs, roast beef, potato salad, and chocolate dipped ginger cookies. MMMM Yum. I don't think I've had that good of a meal at a wedding in a very long time.
Love this cutie.
The beautiful couple.
Like I said, we had a lot to drink. Also, look at the mason jars!

So basically what I'm saying is, we ate our way through Kentucky.

The wedding was fun, we ate way too much food, and drank way too much bourbon.  It was a real Kentucky wedding though, with Mint Julep drinks, a bluegrass band, and a biscuit bar.  So much fun.

Sunday, we woke up and went to brunch at the Village Idiot again, which was very good.  Jesse got the Chilaquiles (the meat was so good) and I got the Korean fried chicken biscuits (also delicious, how many times can I say that word?).

We drove around for a little bit to look at the murals in the city and then made our way to Woodford Reserve distillery.
Beautiful Lincoln mural.

OK - that's a pretty long post for now, I'll split this into a third. Ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment