Thursday, August 28, 2014

Eats

Who has two thumbs and loves to eat? THIS GIRL. (Shameless Office reference)

I love to eat. It's true.  I wouldn't call myself a true foodie, mainly because I have to be in the mood to try new things at times, but when I am, I'll try anything.  I love to go to new restaurants, look over their menus beforehand, and order multiple dishes.  It's also the best when I get to go with my friend Laura. She is a food enthusiast as well and, to use her words, enjoys a "smorgasbord of dishes".

A few of my favorite restaurants include:

Family Meal - Frederick, MD - This restaurant is owned by Bryan Voltaggio, who is famous for a little TV show called Top Chef.  This is his version of family eating, which is basically a less expensive, but still totally delicious, Volt. Favorite items include:
  • Brussels sprouts - It is only in the past few years that I have come to love Brussels sprouts.  But let me tell you, these are crispy and bacon-y and altogether awesome.
  • Chicken pot pie fritters - The outside is crisp and the inside is warm and full of all the simple chicken pot pie flavors you remember from your childhood.
  • Duck fat fries - Now, I can absolutely tell a slightly different flavor due to the duck fat. But it's really the dipping sauces that take them over the top.  So whether you order the regular fries, or the duck fat fries, make sure to taste each dipping sauce.
  • Fried Chicken - Last but not least, I will share my husband's absolute favorite dish to order at Family Meal. You get an entire half a chicken, fried to spicy crisp perfection, with TWO (count them two) glorious cheddar jalapeno biscuits, and a side of pickled vegetables.  My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
(Can you tell I really love Family Meal?  We go here about once every two months.)

7th Street Sandwich Shop - Frederick, MD - A tiny sandwich shop, wedged between other tiny stores in a little strip mall off 7th street in Frederick, MD.  A tad unorthodox, but their Pea Island sandwich has stolen my heart.  They bake all their own bread, and to top it off, they add a tiny homemade cookie with each sandwich, for a surprisingly satisfying sweet treat. Favorite items include:
  • Pea Island - This sandwich is loaded with freshly sliced green apples, huge chunks of brie, salty ham, and a gloriously delicious herb mayo.  Seriously. This herb mayo? To die for. I ALWAYS ask for extra.
  • Fried green tomatoes - As a side dish, you get a lot!  They are crunchy and sweet and salty and warm and with the Cajun dipping sauce, out of this world.
  • Continental Shelf - My husband's favorite.  Roast beef, cole slaw, bacon?!  Color me happy.

Cacique - Frederick, MD - This is a Mexican/Spanish restaurant in downtown Frederick on Market Street. While having a wonderful atmosphere, I think this is the best Mexican restaurant in Frederick. And I have literally tried them all.
  • Chips & Salsa - Let me preface this by stating that I adore their chips and salsa.  I have tried all the chips and salsa at various other Mexican/Spanish restaurants and nothing compares.  Their chips are super thin, crispy, and salty.  The salsa is served warm.  It's not chunky, but more of a medley of tomatos, onions, and everything delicious you would expect in a salsa.  
  • Vegetable Fajitas - They have cauliflower!  Any vegetable fajita dish that involves cauliflower and squash is my kind of vegetable fajita.
  • Mussels - This isn't a typical dish you would expect, but the perfectly cooked mussels swimming in a wine and garlic sauce with crusty bread to dip, as an appetizer for $8.99, is AWESOME.
  • Margaritas - I love margaritas, and Cacique has my favorite.  On the rocks, with no salt please.

OK - I have tons more. But this is a super long post already. Maybe this will be a monthly thing? We'll see.  I'm still deciding if this blog is an actual thing I'm doing.



No comments:

Post a Comment