Thursday, March 19, 2015

Being an Adult

So there is this scene in the TV show Will & Grace where Jack hires his old babysitter to basically 'babysit' him again. And Will gets angry and says you can't do that you're an adult! So Jack responds, "I don't want to be an adult anymore! It's very hard!"

I feel like that ALL THE TIME. Let's review.

Adult Thing #1: Staying up as late as you want!
Reality: Not really. You have to get up for work tomorrow remember? And if you don't want to fall asleep at your desk, post, seat, station, or what have you, you might as well turn in around 9:30pm.  No amount of Netflix binging will feel better than getting a good nights sleep.

Adult Thing #2: Making your own money, and spending it the way you want!
Reality: Again, not really. Yes, you make your own money. Most adults I know make pretty good money. But sadly, that money is gone the second it hits your bank account.  Gone to the mean bills known as rent/mortgage, cable, electric, gas, car payment, phone bill, and student loans. Whatever you have left over can probably get you a few things you want. But not everything. Definitely, not everything.

Adult Thing #3: You want that extra cookie? You go Glenn Coco!
Reality: Oh you can have that cookie. You can have the whole damn sleeve of Thin Mints for all the world cares. You're an adult! There is no one around to tell you otherwise! But your thighs? They care. And they will show you how much you care the next morning.

Adult Thing #4: Drinking alcohol!
Reality: Yes, alcohol can be very good.  It can make a good party, a great one. It can leave lasting memories (if you can remember them). But alcohol can be bad, very bad. It can leave you throwing up, lying on the cold bathroom floor and wishing you did NOT have that third margarita on top of all the chips and salsa. See #3. And after age 25, don't think you can handle it as well as you did when you turned 21. Also, basically after one drink at dinner, I'm falling asleep on the couch. Here we are again at #1. 

Alright so it isn't all bad. There are some definite perks. I love owning my own home. I love the sense of pride I get when I look at my house and realize how long it took Jesse and me to get there. I love that we are married. I love that I know I get to be with him forever. Making my own money is pretty cool.  And I'm learning every day how to budget myself better. 

But here's the thing. I don't feel like an adult. I don't think anyone does. I don't think being an adult is a feeling as much as responsibilities. I still feel like a kid. Maybe a teenager some days. Hopefully, that never goes away. Even when I'm 80. 

No comments:

Post a Comment